20 New Images! Render DUMPPPPP

Started by Will Gibbons, May 23, 2016, 07:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh3D

Will Gibbons

Been a while... nothing too crazy here, but made some 'abstract art' out of the camera we use for on-site training. Figured I'd throw it up here since I often forget KS can be used to create some 'non-literal' imagery. Raw KeyShot rendering.

Gold star to anyone who can identify what was done to create this image.

Finema

Will Gibbons

Also, this was created for a recent Quick Tip. Super simple, but a fun image.

Marble - KeyShot procedural marble material
Backplate - Standard KeyShot backdrop
HDRI - Free from MaximeRoz.com
Mirror Grime - Roughness textures (dust and wiping residue) via Poliigon.com
Model - Dimensiva.com

NM-92

The mirror looks great ! Specially the dust detail. Regarding the abstract render, it looks like you distorted the perspective modifying the focal length on a material sphere scene ? Maybe ? That's my guess :P

Josh3D

Sweet. Added the abstract to our abstract wallpapers Pinterest board :)

Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons

Quote from: NM-92 on September 09, 2016, 09:31:18 AM
The mirror looks great ! Specially the dust detail. Regarding the abstract render, it looks like you distorted the perspective modifying the focal length on a material sphere scene ? Maybe ? That's my guess :P

Just a 5mm focal length, and the camera (viewer's eye) is placed between two lens elements in a camera model as shown below. :P

Will Gibbons

I needed a nice wood material, so I made one in KeyShot, then uploaded it to the KS Cloud Library. I believe it's called Procedural Stained Maple Wood. If you search those words, it should come up. Below is a close-up sample of the material. I've made a few fun materials lately, so will probably do a post in the Materials section with a detail closeup of each one. Looking forward to when the Cloud Library is assets are linkable! Cool thing with this material is it's completely procedural and will map over any geometry well. I've also added some occlusion for some extra pop. (Easily disabled through the Mat. Graph, if you don't want or need that part of it)

TpwUK

This looks pretty good really, have you rotated the texture ? If not you may have found a new bug ;)

Martin

Will Gibbons

Quote from: TpwUK on September 14, 2016, 12:16:04 PM
This looks pretty good really, have you rotated the texture ? If not you may have found a new bug ;)

Martin

I did. Is my grain going the wrong way?  :-[

TpwUK

Not really, the process of making rocking chair rockers normally involves steaming and applying slow pressure to the timbers to get that all important curvature. so it would be interesting to see if the procedural map reflects that curvature in the grain pattern along the outside faces or if would be applied as it was a flat face if you get what i am saying ?

Martin

Will Gibbons

Quote from: TpwUK on September 14, 2016, 03:23:58 PM
Not really, the process of making rocking chair rockers normally involves steaming and applying slow pressure to the timbers to get that all important curvature. so it would be interesting to see if the procedural map reflects that curvature in the grain pattern along the outside faces or if would be applied as it was a flat face if you get what i am saying ?

Martin

I do, and it seemed pretty flat when I tried it at first. I'll fidget with it again. I referenced a real photo of the piece and it wasn't bent wood, rather solid. Here's the image I referenced: http://www.viroodh.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Eames-Rocking-Chair-In-Home-Interior-Design-Ideas-With-Eames-Rocking-Chair.jpg

Will Gibbons

I got home and realized it'd been a while since I'd modeled anything in MODO, so I set out to find some simple, everyday objects and will try to hammer these out in an effort to refine my polygonal modeling skills. This first one, a cloudy plastic drinking cup could have easily been done with a revolved feature, but that would be too easy, so instead I began with a cylinder primitive and went from there.

I rendered it in KeyShot of course and creating this material was quite a challenge. Started from scratch with the advanced material and finessed it as best as I could before it was bedtime. Open to C&C. Thanks for looking.

Esben Oxholm

Cool, Will!
Did you use a reference for the material?
To me it looks either to transparent or to cloudy... at least compared to the material of plastic cups we can buy in Denmark :)