Weld Seam creation

Started by JasonM1972, November 06, 2017, 02:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonM1972

Greetings my fellow Keyshooters,

I have finally found a decent bump map that resembles a weld bead, however one side looks pretty and the other is a bit naff. I have tried different projections and scales but I cannot seem to get the pattern consistent all the way round the profile, any ideas?

Kind Regards

Jason

INNEO_MWo

Hi.
Can you share this example via KSP? Maybe we can help to improve it?!

JasonM1972

Good Morning
ksp file attached as requested

Kind Regards

J

INNEO_MWo

UV mapping would bring the best results, but the UV coordinates are missing.
I tried the new tri-planar mapping, but without good results.

How about the idea to split the weld-cylinder in quarters and pattern them?

JasonM1972

UV mapping is beyond my skill set at the moment, will have a crack at the other method instead

Many Thanks

INNEO_MWo

I'm sorry - if I got the time to play with, I'll do. I would give cylindrical mapping another try or split the object in pieces and use pattern.

Cheers
Marco

JasonM1972

Thanks Marco

Meantime I will get myself clued up on UV mapping

:)

Will Gibbons

Hey Jason,

I arrived at this solution. I realized that the texture mapping was set to legacy, making it difficult to get it to behave properly in KeyShot7. Which leads me to the realization that I'm not sure if you're using KS6 or KS7. If not on KS7, this won't open on your machine. Sorry, should have asked first. Also, simplified your material setup a bit. This is using cylindrical mapping. Let me know if you've questions.

DMerz III

:) Jason, if you want to get into UV mapping (and polygonal modeling), try Blender 3D, it's a free and powerful 3D program, lots of free tutorials online to get you get started as well.
The concept of UV mapping is a bit hard to wrap your head around at first, but it does well with these sort of problems. I would say if you're in a pinch, using the cylindrical mapping as others have mentioned could work here as well.

JasonM1972

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 07, 2017, 07:09:11 AM
Hey Jason,

I arrived at this solution. I realized that the texture mapping was set to legacy, making it difficult to get it to behave properly in KeyShot7. Which leads me to the realization that I'm not sure if you're using KS6 or KS7. If not on KS7, this won't open on your machine. Sorry, should have asked first. Also, simplified your material setup a bit. This is using cylindrical mapping. Let me know if you've questions.

Hi Will

yes I'm one the poor kids that only has KS6 :)

Struggling to get it lined up using cylindrical mapping, would you be so kind as to be so kind and post a screen grab of the correct settings please?

Kind Regards

Jason

Will Gibbons

Quote from: JasonM1972 on November 07, 2017, 10:29:52 AM
Hi Will

yes I'm one the poor kids that only has KS6 :)

Struggling to get it lined up using cylindrical mapping, would you be so kind as to be so kind and post a screen grab of the correct settings please?

Kind Regards

Jason

I'm quite pinched on time at the moment. You should be able to (if my memory serves me right), set it to cylindrical, then click 'move texture' and in the move tool dialogue box, choose fit to 'y' and it should fit the texture to the y dimension of your part. If I get time, I'll try, but unfortunately, I can't run through the scene at the moment. You could download a trial of KS7 and open up what I sent you if you need to access this ASAP

JasonM1972

I'm quite pinched on time at the moment. You should be able to (if my memory serves me right), set it to cylindrical, then click 'move texture' and in the move tool dialogue box, choose fit to 'y' and it should fit the texture to the y dimension of your part. If I get time, I'll try, but unfortunately, I can't run through the scene at the moment. You could download a trial of KS7 and open up what I sent you if you need to access this ASAP
[/quote]

No Worries Will, will have another go

Many Thanks

J

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: JasonM1972 on November 07, 2017, 11:12:48 AM
QuoteI'm quite pinched on time at the moment. You should be able to (if my memory serves me right), set it to cylindrical, then click 'move texture' and in the move tool dialogue box, choose fit to 'y' and it should fit the texture to the y dimension of your part. If I get time, I'll try, but unfortunately, I can't run through the scene at the moment. You could download a trial of KS7 and open up what I sent you if you need to access this ASAP

No Worries Will, will have another go

Many Thanks

If you can't make it work you can have a look at this KSP where the textures are mapped using cylindrical mapping in KS6: https://we.tl/PnzmSs7Xsg

I had to scale the textures quite a lot to make them fit to the object.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,

mattjgerard

and to think that I spent days modeling this type of bead and can get looks like this now with textures.....

INNEO_MWo

Hello Jason.

Here we go. I took some minutes. All details can be found in the attached package.

Thank Will for the inspiration to the right direction. And I also thanks Esben (even if I didn't checked your file).

I changed the color a bit just to give more control. And I used my favorite environment.

Cheers
Marco