Variety 2018 (+Floating Icebergs - Salt n'Pepper shakes)

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, April 18, 2018, 02:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS808

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 19, 2018, 12:55:10 AM
I shouldn't make too much promise about the functionality, but it's UV mapping to the extent that one could make textures follow a shape.

Whatever tips you might have would be welcome. Textures following a shape? Awesome! The way you have the wood following along the edge of that chair is wild.

TGS808

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 19, 2018, 08:24:18 AM
I've gotten this to work in Fusion360. As Magnus said, you need to use NURBS Splines for the features.

Fusion 360 is what I am using. I'm still pretty new to it so any tips in this direction would be most helpful.

Magnus Skogsfjord

EDIT: You can download the parasolid UV_test.x_t below to test yourself

Thank you for all your kind words! Since there seems to be an interest to understand the UV-mapping from NURBS, I can give it a step-by-step explanation here. I'm planning to create video tutorials on several subjects (like this one), but this is currently in the planning pipeline. In the meantime, I hope this written tutorial will do.

Please refer to the image numbers through this explanation. I also take into consideration that we have a B-rep/NURBS based model in the explanation.

First off, this is not a technique that allows you to unwrap UV's. This technique utilizes the local UV-coordinates of a surface that allows us to map textures accordingly to the flow of a surface. That means that the shape will have to be a NURBS surface for UV-mapping to work. You may have tried UV-mapping in KS before and discovered that you only get a completely black color. This is because you have a B-rep (to my understanding) which does not consist of knots and vectors, but simply just a mixture of primitives.

• In NX (and presumably the majority of other engineering CAD-softwares) you have a bunch of tools that creates meshes and sweeps. When you create this it can look something like picture 1, where guides and section curves (typically splines) describes the shape.
  • When i look at the shape using a NURBS-editing tool (X-form in this example), you can see that we have a local UV-coordinate system with it's origin highlighted
  • By looking at it using a face analysis tool, I can see how the NURBS poles in the surface flows
  • Using UV as a mapping technique in KS, i can make the textures follow this very flow
  • Result Example

So it's not very complicated, but it's a neat technique that can be utilized in several situations, like the ones in the start of this thread, but also for example welds, and probably a heap of other situations.

Let me know if anyone has further questions :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 19, 2018, 08:24:47 AM
Magnus, I love how you have such a consistent style to your images. When can I expect a portfolio website with all your work on it?
Thank you Will! I haven't even realized I have a particular style, so it's interesting that you mention that. It's also interesting that you ask about the website, as I've just recently got myself a webadress and will start building a page this summer :)

Quote from: Mikael Prous on April 19, 2018, 11:52:50 AM
This is an OTHER level! Really impressive. Would love to know how you achieved texture folows form.
Thanks a lot man! Hope the tutorial above makes sense to you :)

Quote from: TGS808 on April 19, 2018, 10:30:56 AM
Whatever tips you might have would be welcome. Textures following a shape? Awesome! The way you have the wood following along the edge of that chair is wild.
Thank you so much! Let me know if you have any questions to the tutorial above. Hoping to get started on the video tutorials during the summer months.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 20, 2018, 04:17:09 AM
Thank you Will! I haven't even realized I have a particular style, so it's interesting that you mention that. It's also interesting that you ask about the website, as I've just recently got myself a webadress and will start building a page this summer :)

Excited! :) Nice write-up.

For anyone reading this thread, I can verify that I've tested this with Fusion 360 and it works. SolidWorks should work too. As a CAD program offers more tools and has a more robust set of tools for creating class-A surfacing, there's a better chance it'll allow you more fine-tuned control over said UVs and offer more ways to see them visualized.

NM-92

Quote from: Mikael Prous on April 20, 2018, 12:32:30 PM
Thanks Magnus!! I will try that with Rhino.

Rhino already supports UV mapping ! Not the easiest thing, as the meshes are very complicated and tris, but you can achieve something with those tools.

Magnus Skogsfjord

I've gotten a bit hooked on this method, and this little UV test made me a bit inspired to design a bench I call "Waterfall".

All modeled in NX.

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Dang. Magnus, these are killers! looks really, really nice!

Will Gibbons

Yeah, buddy! I can't help but see the grille of the car you modeled most recently ;) Great job. I like that you bothered to put this in context of some modern-looking building.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: PouyaHosseinzadeh on April 26, 2018, 03:54:37 AM
Dang. Magnus, these are killers! looks really, really nice!
Thanks a bunch man! I'm really glad you liked it :)

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 26, 2018, 07:46:00 AM
Yeah, buddy! I can't help but see the grille of the car you modeled most recently ;) Great job. I like that you bothered to put this in context of some modern-looking building.
Hah, you mean the hover car? Hmm.. Not sure if I agree with that, but i definitely see the comparison with a car grille! Thanks for you ever kind words mate, appreciate it :)

feher

Your work is amazing ! Your attention to detail. lighting, and material creation is the best I have seen.
You inspire me to keep pushing my skills. Thank you.
It's a keeper in my book.
Tim

TGS808

I have to echo what Tim said... lighting and material creation are fantastic. Every detail here is amazing. Maybe it's me but there's something about that bench that screams Nordic design. Not sure if it was intentional or if its just in your blood.  ;) It looks like it would be right at home on a Viking ship. :D

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: feher on April 27, 2018, 05:16:09 AM
Your work is amazing ! Your attention to detail. lighting, and material creation is the best I have seen.
You inspire me to keep pushing my skills. Thank you.
It's a keeper in my book.
Tim
Sheesh, I don't even know what to say. I'm not even sure if I completely believe it, but I can tell you that it means so much coming from such an experienced artist as yourself, who has also been the source of inspiration for so many, including myself. Thank you!

Quote from: TGS808 on April 27, 2018, 06:27:38 AM
I have to echo what Tim said... lighting and material creation are fantastic. Every detail here is amazing. Maybe it's me but there's something about that bench that screams Nordic design. Not sure if it was intentional or if its just in your blood.  ;) It looks like it would be right at home on a Viking ship. :D

Hah! That was a weird coincidence, as my next big project is actually going to be a viking ship! How about that? And I see what you mean, It has these organic but still tight lines i guess. And thank you so much for the compliments, you guys are too kind to me. It's genuinely appreciated I can tell you that.

TGS808

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 27, 2018, 08:44:55 AM
my next big project is actually going to be a viking ship! How about that?

Looking forward to seeing that one!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Well before I start at the viking ship, I had to finish another one of these designs in the same style. This one i call "Water Drop", and the shape is inspired by the still photographs from a drop of water landing in still water (example)

All modeled in NX. Hope you like it!