Variety 2018 (+Floating Icebergs - Salt n'Pepper shakes)

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, April 18, 2018, 02:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

NOTE: See latest page on thread for latest image updates!

Hi guys,

Been working a bit lately with modeling up a couple of products on the sketch board from a couple of designers. A common denominator of the two products is the use of laminated wood that follows a shape, so I've used a UV mapping technique  based on sweeps/mesh from NX (NURBS) in KeyShot to make that happen.

The first one is a chair designed by Carl Andre Nørstebø (first drawing). I decided to swap out the bottom as I felt it didn't fit in with the scandinavian office look I was trying to achieve.

The second one is a gorgeous lamp designed by Fredrik Bostad. You may notice that the lamp shade is slightly changing apppearance from the images, as I was constantly playing around with the values in Cloudy Plastics to get the look that I wanted. I feel I finally made it in the rock scene.

Hope you like it. Please feel free to ask questions if you have any :)

guspottinger

Hey Magnus,

Iv been following your stuff on Instagram and everything is really amazing. I know you are modelling in NX but do you know of any good tutorials or ways of applying this kind of UV mapping into your workflow from other modelling programs and within keyshot.

Amazing stuff keep it up!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: guspottinger on April 18, 2018, 03:24:01 AM
Hey Magnus,

Iv been following your stuff on Instagram and everything is really amazing. I know you are modelling in NX but do you know of any good tutorials or ways of applying this kind of UV mapping into your workflow from other modelling programs and within keyshot.

Amazing stuff keep it up!

Hey man! Thank you for your kind words. Really appreciate it! I have stumbled across this technique on my own, so I do not know about any good tutorials unfortunately. However, It's in my to-do list to make such a tutorial, and I'll make sure to update you on Instagram when I do. I imagine this technique could be utilized by any CAD-software. If you have any immediate questions, I'd be happy to answer it :)

Esben Oxholm

Love that rock shot, Magnus!
The shade looks amazing - was it heavy on render time?

Also, you should do a shot with both models in it. It looks like you already have the lamp on the table from the chair scene :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on April 18, 2018, 03:39:38 AM
Love that rock shot, Magnus!
The shade looks amazing - was it heavy on render time?

Also, you should do a shot with both models in it. It looks like you already have the lamp on the table from the chair scene :)

Thank you Esben! I'm glad i finally solved that material myself. You have no idea how many hours I've spent tweaking that one, so it was very fulfilling arriving at work today and see it finally being where I wanted it. It render over approx. 16hrs overnight. There was a slight problem with fireflies which "Dust&scratches" in PS took care of :)

And yes, I thought about that. They would go well together!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 18, 2018, 04:44:58 AM
Thank you Esben! I'm glad i finally solved that material myself. You have no idea how many hours I've spent tweaking that one, so it was very fulfilling arriving at work today and see it finally being where I wanted it. It render over approx. 16hrs overnight. There was a slight problem with fireflies which "Dust&scratches" in PS took care of :)

Ha, I can only imagine.
Hoped you had found a fast way to make it work, but I guess it just needs time.

Used dust&scratches myself on the rollerblade wheels. It took care of the worst noise.

SebasDesign

kiarash.tamizkar

great as always,simple scenes but attractive and flawless

TGS808

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 18, 2018, 03:28:53 AM
However, It's in my to-do list to make such a tutorial, and I'll make sure to update you on Instagram when I do. I imagine this technique could be utilized by any CAD-software.

A UV mapping technique that could be utilized by any CAD-software? I definitely want to know about this!  :D

And of course... flawless images as always Magnus. As always.  :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Sebas_ace96 on April 18, 2018, 12:13:35 PM
I want them hehe
Hah, I kinda do too.

Quote from: kiarash.tamizkar on April 18, 2018, 12:40:35 PM
great as always,simple scenes but attractive and flawless
Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Quote from: TGS808 on April 18, 2018, 09:43:05 PM
A UV mapping technique that could be utilized by any CAD-software? I definitely want to know about this!  :D

Thanks man! Always happy to read your encouragement :) I shouldn't make too much promise about the functionality, but it's UV mapping to the extent that one could make textures follow a shape.

Chad Holton

Great work, Magnus. The mapped wood turned out real nice. Love the rock scenes too.

Shaun Wellens

I had to come and see the high-res images after seeing this posted on IG. Amazing as always brother!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Chad Holton on April 19, 2018, 05:21:11 AM
Great work, Magnus. The mapped wood turned out real nice. Love the rock scenes too.
Thanks Chad! Appreciate that.

Quote from: Shaun Wellens on April 19, 2018, 05:39:50 AM
I had to come and see the high-res images after seeing this posted on IG. Amazing as always brother!
Thanks a bunch Shaun! Means a lot.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: TGS808 on April 18, 2018, 09:43:05 PM
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 18, 2018, 03:28:53 AM
However, It's in my to-do list to make such a tutorial, and I'll make sure to update you on Instagram when I do. I imagine this technique could be utilized by any CAD-software.

I've gotten this to work in Fusion360. As Magnus said, you need to use NURBS Splines for the features.

Will Gibbons

Magnus, I love how you have such a consistent style to your images. When can I expect a portfolio website with all your work on it?