Variety 2018 (+Floating Icebergs - Salt n'Pepper shakes)

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, April 18, 2018, 02:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Ha, cool thing with the lamp for the 'top drop'.
Also nice that you have the bench included in the background :)

Although I love the lobby feeling (you nailed that), the image feels a bit busy. Lot's of things going on with the marble texture, reflections, window shadows and light in the hallway. Maybe it could be simplified to put more focus on the Water Drop. Just a few thoughts :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on April 30, 2018, 09:38:04 AM
Ha, cool thing with the lamp for the 'top drop'.
Also nice that you have the bench included in the background :)

Although I love the lobby feeling (you nailed that), the image feels a bit busy. Lot's of things going on with the marble texture, reflections, window shadows and light in the hallway. Maybe it could be simplified to put more focus on the Water Drop. Just a few thoughts :)
Thank you for your C&C Esben! Greatly appreciate it. And you are completely right that it went a bit overboard. I'll  take a little break from it and come up with an alternative studio.  Again, thanks!

kiarash.tamizkar

Magnus Skogsfjord

Josh3D

MK-ID

Really great work! Especially the layered wood "flowing" along the entire shape of the chair.
Unfortunately it does not work with models created Rhinoceros or SOLIDWORKS.
Please let me know if I am wrong!

best regards

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Josh Mings on May 02, 2018, 10:58:04 AM
Love these to bits. Brilliant.
Thanks Josh! Glad you like it :)

Quote from: MK-ID on May 03, 2018, 12:01:36 AM
Really great work! Especially the layered wood "flowing" along the entire shape of the chair.
Unfortunately it does not work with models created Rhinoceros or SOLIDWORKS.
Please let me know if I am wrong!
Thank you! Appreciate it. I don't know about Rhinoceros (although Nicolas states above here that there is UV-mapping already in Rhino), but I would be surprised if it couldn't be done using SolidWorks. I'm saying that since SolidWorks has the same geometry core as NX (Parasolid). So if you do a loft or similar you should be able to reproduce something similar. That said, I haven't used SolidWorks so I'm not confident.

NM-92

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on May 03, 2018, 01:09:45 AM
Thank you! Appreciate it. I don't know about Rhinoceros (although Nicolas states above here that there is UV-mapping already in Rhino), but I would be surprised if it couldn't be done using SolidWorks. I'm saying that since SolidWorks has the same geometry core as NX (Parasolid). So if you do a loft or similar you should be able to reproduce something similar. That said, I haven't used SolidWorks so I'm not confident.

If someone understands how Uv mapping works in Rhino it'd be deeply appreciated. I've made some atempts but it's just not clear enough for me. Meshes created in there are horrible and it's very difficult to understand what you're working with. But hey, the possibility exists.

nicordf

Quote from: NM-92 on May 03, 2018, 04:36:38 AM
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on May 03, 2018, 01:09:45 AM

If someone understands how Uv mapping works in Rhino it'd be deeply appreciated. I've made some atempts but it's just not clear enough for me. Meshes created in there are horrible and it's very difficult to understand what you're working with. But hey, the possibility exists.

Hey Nico! Rhino UV mapping is quite a hassle, but can be sorted with _bend while selecting the mesh you need. You can also split the mesh map if needed

Magnus Skogsfjord

Lately I've been working a bit obsessively with modeling up a viking ship  to be a printed artwork for my girlfriend, as she fell in love with their shape while visiting the viking ship museum in Oslo. This is still an ongoing project, but the end result will probably an approximately 1mx1.5m image using the front angle (which i personally love the shape of).

The design is based on the Gokstad ship located in the mentioned museum, and they were renowned at it's time for being particularly quick due to speed (around 15knots) and the ability to travel long distances (around 75miles a day).

I will revisit this guy for a high res front view. But for now I need a little break from it. Hope you like it!

Modeled in NX.

NM-92

Sometimes i believe you can't surprise me anymore, but there you go. Fantastic work with the curves of the ship. That's the first thing that would come up if done wrong, but they look really neat. Looking forward to see the final piece.

You should also send a copy to the museum. It would be wicked to see this besides the ship.

Finema

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Nothing to add. Looks awesome ! But I'm still waiting for the final output.
Hurry up man, I can't wait more than this! :))

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: NM-92 on May 08, 2018, 04:59:39 AM
Sometimes i believe you can't surprise me anymore, but there you go. Fantastic work with the curves of the ship. That's the first thing that would come up if done wrong, but they look really neat. Looking forward to see the final piece.

You should also send a copy to the museum. It would be wicked to see this besides the ship.
Well I'm quite I have the ability sometimes Nico! I'm happy you take notice of the curves. It is quite gorgeous lines on the original ones, so I'm glad you think I was able to catch that!

The final piece will be quite similar to the front shot here, only showing the entire hull. Also, if I can manage to pull it off: Some water caustics :)

Quote from: Finema on May 08, 2018, 05:49:09 AM
Whoooo !
it's so realistic
I love the textures :P
Hah, thanks man! :)

Quote from: PouyaHosseinzadeh on May 08, 2018, 07:24:10 AM
Nothing to add. Looks awesome ! But I'm still waiting for the final output.
Hurry up man, I can't wait more than this! :))
Hah, it's not gonna be so much different than the front shot here, so I hope you won't wait in vain. I tried putting it in a building, but after 52 hours of rendering I realized I've messed up a few things,  so I had to reject that one unfortunately.. Quite frustrating, but it happens sometimes. Thanks for the compliment!

Will Gibbons

I've been spoiled by seeing your WIPs, so this isn't a surprise from me, but nice to see it here and more of a full rendering. Keep on going, man!