Applying Keyshot materials to objects in Rhino? Is this possible?

Started by rfollett, August 02, 2012, 02:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

I remember in early versions of Keyshot you could apply keyshot materials to objects/layers in rhino, is this still possible? If so then how?

Many thanks

guest84672

No this was never possible with KeyShot. This was the old plugin that was provided back in the HyperShot days.

rfollett

Ok Thanks.
Is it something that may be considered?
The reason I ask is that it can take a long time to apply materials to all the different objects in a scene. If you then need to change geometry in rhino, you need to then re-apply all the materials.

guest84672

No it isn't. However, we are working on technology that will allow you to update your geometry directly from inside Rhino.

For now - if a change occurs, simply save the Rhino file, and then import into KeyShot. When importing, you can select "Retain Material" to retain all the previously assigned materials on the object.

rfollett

Hi Thomas,
I am a bit confused. Sorry.
manual says this:
Retain materials
This feature is useful if you have already assigned materials to your model, but decide to make a change to your geometry. When you re-importyour updated model, any assigned materials will be automatically reassigned on parts that have kept their original name.

I cant assign materials in rhino , I can only assign materials in Keyshot so how does this work?

Thanks

Dylan

I understand that to mean when you save a scene file out of Keyshot and then change the obg geometry, next time you bring it back in the materials will still be assigned to the parts.

rfollett

rfollett

Please can someone explain this:

Retain materials
This feature is useful if you have already assigned materials to your model, but decide to make a change to your geometry. When you re-importyour updated model, any assigned materials will be automatically reassigned on parts that have kept their original name.

Basically I have a large scene in Rhino which I export into KS and apply all materials.
Clients wants changes so I change model in Rhino and import again into KS and apply materials again.

Is there a way to speed this process up?

guest84672

Arnaud

Load first the original scene into KS, then import the new .3DM file checking "retain material".

Doesn't work with Rhino2KS plugin