KeyShot 4.1 Beta - Caustics tests

Started by DriesV, May 22, 2013, 12:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

This is a new art form....  :)
Stunning!

edwardo

Dries, this whole thread is amazing - like the last post said... its a new art form! When this thread started I predicted that someone (you) would reproduce the pink floyd cover, but didn't think it would evolve into this. At some point however, your going to have to lay off the LSD... maaaan.  ;)

But seriously, good stuff
Ed

DriesV

Thank you, guys! ;)

Sadly, there's more LSD infused stuff coming... ;D

Dries

edwardo

perhaps its time for an intervention people

DriesV

As promised: the prism rotation animation.
Rendering the 250 base frames took exactly 25 hours on a Xeon E5-1650 machine.
Make sure to watch it in full-screen mode for maximum LSD infusion. ;D

Colored version:

Vintage 'Metropolis-esque' style:

Dries

zpaolo

Wow I'm AMAZED, this is exactly the kind of physical light simulation that I wanted to find in a biased/unbiased/whatever rendering package in 2013. Being an optical designer it's intriguing to see this results in a commercial rendering engine with the ease of use of Keyshot :) If only Zemax had something like that for realtime preview ;D

edwardo

Amazing - set that on a loop and youve got some pretty cool screen savers

Speedster

Absolutely amazing!  I'm really glad you tested an animation.  It boggles the mind when you think of where this could all lead!  This is truly groundbreaking work, and I can see a 30 minute loop of this kind of art running in an exhibition of the Museum of Modern Art, or MOMA!  Of course, you'd have to render it on a supercomputer!
Bill G

Despot

Fantastic work Dries... I swear, rendering that stuff on my measly machine would surely kill it.

J

Ed

Interesting stuff.   

Imagine placing rotating optics outside the final crop frame with a concept car in the scene.  Detroit auto show laser intro anyone?

Ed

DriesV

Another quick animation.

Colored version:

Vintage 'Metropolis-esque' style:

Dries

rfollett

Can I ask how you create such a straight direction light beam?

DriesV

Quote from: rfollett on June 11, 2013, 02:03:01 AM
Can I ask how you create such a straight direction light beam?

So far, I have found two ways to create a directional light in KeyShot.

Put a point light a good distance behind a plane/wall with a very narrow slot in it. This gets you a 'stripe' light.
If you let the slot intersect a ground plane, you will see caustic light patterns on the floor.

Model a parabolic reflector and put a point light in the focus. This gets you a circular section light beam.
It has to be a matematically precise parabola!
If you let the 'parabolic spot' intersect a ground plane, you will see caustic light patterns on the floor.

I have found method #2 to be more efficient when dealing with caustics.

Dries

rfollett

rfollett

So option 2.

Like this? Sorry for my basic questions. I applied point light diffuse to the round sphere.. what am I doing wrong?