KeyShot 4.1 Beta - Caustics tests

Started by DriesV, May 22, 2013, 12:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I can't find the exact equation I used for the parabola at the moment.
Anyway, here's the KeyShot 4.1 scene I used for the animations.
You can experiment with this as you like. Please, do post your results in this thread. ;)

Dries

PhilippeV8

So when does your Caustics Expo start ?

rfollett

Thank you for sharing file. Light bean does not work for me, is that because this is a 4.1 beta file? I am running 4.0...

DriesV

Quote from: rfollett on June 11, 2013, 05:50:17 AM
Thank you for sharing file. Light bean does not work for me, is that because this is a 4.1 beta file? I am running 4.0...

Yes, you need BETA 4.1 to see the caustics.

Dries

rfollett

I realise that. Thank you. I have worked it out. I cranked the point light up to 10,000 watts and now I can see it.

Many thanks

Speedster

All together, now- chant along with me:  4.1  4.1  4.1  4.1    We want our 4.1 and we want it NOW!
Bill G

DriesV

Playing with color filters.

Oh and Bill...
4.1  4.1  4.1  4.1    We want our 4.1 and we want it NOW!

Dries

Speedster

Wow!  So- next up is the Fraunhofer Lines!  Can you imagine what he could have done with 4.1 back in 1823?  Joseph Von Fraunhofer is one of my heroes, and in my humble opinion the greatest scientist/craftsmen in history.  He's known as the "Father of Astrophysics" for good reason.

Question- does color temperature have bearing on the setup?  If so, what temperature are you using?

Bill G

DriesV

Going from wide to narrow RGB beam spacings. 8)

Bill,
Color temp. IS being fully considered for rendering. The light coming out of the three 'reflector lamps' is full spectrum 6500K.
The color filters are of the 'Solid Glass' material type with RGB values for pure blue (0-0-255), green (0-255-0) and red (255-0-0). The converging and diverging lenses are of the 'Gem' material type.
I tested the lenses with dispersion on/off. Interestingly, with pure colored light (single frequency waves) enabling dispersion has absolutely NO effect. This is in fact what happens in reality too. :)

I hope that answers your question...

Dries

DriesV

@Bill:

fyi, see this render for influence color temp. on dispersion.

1 light is pure red
1 light is pure green
1 light is 6500K

Only the 6500K light is dispersed.

Dries

DriesV

A little game...
Can you guess the RGB-values of the glass filters? ;)

Dries

Ruckus

how about   0,255,255    255,255,255   and  255,255,0

DriesV

I think we have a winner already. ;)

Dries

Ruckus

Have you tried black light?  I doubt 0,0,0 will produce anything, but I mean what is commonly called "black light".   (I have no idea what the RGB for that is, or if that wavelength is even covered in the RGB spectrum)

KeyShot

Quote from: Ruckus on June 12, 2013, 09:15:50 AM
Have you tried black light?  I doubt 0,0,0 will produce anything, but I mean what is commonly called "black light".   (I have no idea what the RGB for that is, or if that wavelength is even covered in the RGB spectrum)

Black light is another name for UV light. It is not visible and dispersion, which does not change the wavelength, will not make it visible. It is used in conjunction with fluorescence and phosphorescence, where the energy from the photons is absorbed briefly and emitted at a lower frequency (longer wavelength).

-- Henrik