Main Menu

777 BUGATTI

Started by tsunami, September 27, 2013, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Personally, I visit the forums to learn, not to judge.

But I am puzzled as well at some of the renders I see from various members.

I think KS should have two forum categories:
1) Amazing Shots (Renders)
2) Amazing Compositions (Render based)

I think a legitimate KS Render can have a photograph background, curves & color adjustments, jewelry sparkles, smoke, motion blur, etc. added in post.

I think a Composition based on a render involves sketching, painting, overlaying elements from a photo, etc. on top of a render.

The main difference is with #1, you can easily change the camera view and re-render with pretty much the same quality result.  With #2, you can not.

The issue is, people come to the forum and galleries when evaluating which render program to purchase.  When images are posted with no explanation of the post work involved, it implies this is something you can make essentially with KS.  It implies this is an image you can manipulate in 3D space.

I've also seen renders that were posted in other render programs' forums as well - obviously to publicize their graphics business.

Again, I come to the forums to learn (and occasionally share).  But if I see an image with no explanations, I'm likely to just move along.  If I just want to look at images, there are many image sharing sites to view portfolios.  I think a forum by definition has a different purpose and obligation to its viewers.

My $.02 worth.

Ed

DriesV

QuoteI think KS should have two forum categories:
1) Amazing Shots (Renders)
2) Amazing Compositions (Render based)

That sounds like a good idea to me.
Or maybe an optional 'thread flag' to indicate whether the topic contains pure KeyShot renders or heavy compositions.

Still, I think honesty goes a long way...

Dries

Despot

Yes, but what this guys been doing doesn't fit any of those categories... he has been cheating, simple as that.

And If it wasn't for the fact that he (quite bizarrely and stupidly in my opinion) posted a split shot of clay/texture where you could clearly see huge discrepencies between geometry and actual 'render', then the posting of these sham images would have continued...

I will never comment on any of his images again, all credibility has been lost.

>:(

Skint

I do remember Aldo`s work when he first joined the forum. Suddenly, almost overnight his imagery changed from amature to something much better. Now I understand why.  It`s a shame, as some of his work was lovely to look at, even if it fooled me.  The wasp, the rusty car work etc. :(

Despot

You've hit the nail on the head Skint... his work was mediocre, then all of a sudden it went to outstanding in one bound... I'm thinking of the car 'renders' with the ultra realistic wheels and tyres with grit, dirt and gravel on them. I was always a bit suspicious of them, they just didn't sit right with me.

The reason they looked photographic... is because they were, ahem... photographs  :o

Honestly in all my years I have never ever seen anything so utterly blatant.

J

DriesV

Aldo, I hope that at least your images on the KeyShot web gallery are genuine. With genuine I mean that all geometry is actually rendered, not substituted by photo fragments.
All of the other KeyShot gallery images are clearly KeyShot output and primarily showcase KeyShot's rendering capabilities.

Dries

Despot

Personally I think the 'Wasp' image is suspect, those textures look too photographic, too much of a leap from almost zero texture work in his stuff to this image, which I will admit, if it is all render, is outstanding...

J

Cliffl

take a look at this link and compare yet another of his 'works'

http://www.tineye.com/search/8f717bf89b8fe7340c52589a4384fa0165d4f89a/

there is a handy compare switch at the bottom of the screen

DriesV

Skint

ooops indeed  :-\.  Aldo has some explaining to do lol

Chad Holton

Wow - this is so wrong. I'm speechless at the moment.

Despot

Despot

And another... found this image on the first page of a Google search...

DriesV

Hence the tight cropping! ;)

Dries

Chad Holton

Quote from: The Metal Master on October 07, 2013, 06:44:01 AM
And another... found this image on the first page of a Google search...

Looks like the wheels are part of the backplate but the rest is a rendering? Something like this isn't as bad but should definitely be mentioned when posted by the creator. As for some of the others, especially the Bugatti & #30... I'm still shaking my head.  >:(