Side by Side Comparison II

Started by syrom, November 15, 2015, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on November 17, 2015, 04:19:45 AM
Love the comparison. Not viewed them as full sized, but from what i can see, I prefer the lighting of Maxwell coming through the window, but I prefer the shadows and smoother looking finish of the KeyShot render.

You can only set the compression for jpg and png files via the preferences for screenshots, however I don't know if those preferences carry over to the main render engine though  :-\

Martin
Agree..... maxwell does have better lighting. I was thinking maybe it has to do something with the bounce? I don't know.  But not bad though,  KS can be used for interiors now. Also, thxs for the info on the compression.

syrom

Any expert can shed some light on the compression  issue?  I'd you download both the ks and maxwell,  zoom in to the small clock on the table. Notice how much sharper the maxwell is? How can this be remedied?

syrom

Another issue I encountered was soft shadows created by the invisible planes. Seems like the invisible planes themselves are interacting. If you put planes near a wall they actually create a shadow even though you select not to emit shadows.  Only solution i found was to put yet another invisible plane right behind it with a very low wattage to lite up the shadow. Is this a bug?

syrom

Also, took 1 hour to render clean.  Maxwell took over 8 hours  and it still has grain. Ks site is FAST!

syrom

Quote from: KeyShot on November 16, 2015, 07:36:27 PM
Performance mode should give very good performance with as many polygons as you can have in memory. If this is not the case then it would be great if you could share the scene with support, so we can look at any issues you may be experiencing.

Also, you can import fur into KeyShot 6 from 3ds max, Maya, cinema4D, and fbx.

Where would I upload the scene?  And do i just select the bip file and load it? Or is there a procedure?

TpwUK

QuoteWhere would I upload the scene?  And do i just select the bip file and load it? Or is there a procedure?

If it's less than 50Mbyte then post it on this thread, if not then use keyshot.wetransfer.com and send to support@luxion.com - It might be prudent to FAO it to Henrik and link back to this thread.

Martin

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on November 17, 2015, 01:00:35 PM
QuoteWhere would I upload the scene?  And do i just select the bip file and load it? Or is there a procedure?

If it's less than 50Mbyte then post it on this thread, if not then use keyshot.wetransfer.com and send to support@luxion.com - It might be prudent to FAO it to Henrik and link back to this thread.

Martin
Thxs!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: syrom on November 17, 2015, 12:30:48 PM
Also, took 1 hour to render clean.  Maxwell took over 8 hours  and it still has grain. Ks site is FAST!

That is pretty impressive.

QuoteAnd do i just select the bip file and load it? Or is there a procedure?

Save it out as a package (.ksp). Then you are sure everything is included.

syrom

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 17, 2015, 01:30:04 PM
Quote from: syrom on November 17, 2015, 12:30:48 PM

That is pretty impressive.

QuoteAnd do i just select the bip file and load it? Or is there a procedure?

Save it out as a package (.ksp). Then you are sure everything is included.

Thxs for the info!

DriesV

Looks really nice!

I'm probably quite biased here (  :) ), but I think the KeyShot image looks better.
The shadows look more natural, softer.
In the Maxwell image there is some 'glow' around certain geometry. F.i. around the white cubes on the back wall, where they touch the wall. They seem to float a little.

If you want to share the ksp, I'd be happy to accept it through keyshot.wetransfer.com.
You can send it to my mail: dries@luxion.com.

As for the compression issue...
JPEG images get compressed after upload. So if image quality is of the essence, then PNG is your best option.

Dries

syrom

Quote from: DriesV on November 18, 2015, 01:11:10 AM
Looks really nice!

I'm probably quite biased here (  :) ), but I think the KeyShot image looks better.
The shadows look more natural, softer.
In the Maxwell image there is some 'glow' around certain geometry. F.i. around the white cubes on the back wall, where they touch the wall. They seem to float a little.

If you want to share the ksp, I'd be happy to accept it through keyshot.wetransfer.com.
You can send it to my mail: dries@luxion.com.

As for the compression issue...
JPEG images get compressed after upload. So if image quality is of the essence, then PNG is your best option.

Dries

I know what you mean,  that glow.  I'm suspecting bounce of the shader is more dramatic inside maxwell compared to the Shader inside ks. I like both honestly,  both have pros and cons.  The ks one is way more cleaner I'd you ate going for that.  I tried to get the bump to match the maxwell bump on the comforter,  but no matter how high i set it. ..it didn't pop out like it did in maxwell.  As for your compression analysts. ... I will correct your thought.  Even before uploading the maxwell is still sharp compared to the ks. Trust me,  i tried fixing it by looking at all options in KS, even png. But nothing really helped it. I suspect its the method in KS dies the rendering?  I put both files side by side before any uploading btw.

I'll gladly share this scene and do what ever you want really.  When i get home I'll send it over. Anyone can have the file to study it. 

One huge improvement maybe in the next ks 7, please consider making the geometry  mode a option to fully work in! Lol. s Much as i like the real time render.... it bogs down with huge scenes. Geometry  mode is smooth as butter. Plus. . My eyes are used to working within geo mode.

syrom

One thing i did try to fix was the amount of glow in the shelve next to the window. It's more natural i think on maxwell. I increased the watts on the ks emmiting plane but then i was getting to much light all around the room. So 40watts was the highest i could set it without having the render come out too bright.

Will Gibbons

Nice work here. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers in my first reply. As was reinforced by everyone here, post is really personal pref. so it's easier sometimes to give feedback with little to no post. Your rendering here is great and I appreciate your comparison. It's nice to get that perspective!

syrom

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on November 18, 2015, 05:56:19 PM
Nice work here. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers in my first reply. As was reinforced by everyone here, post is really personal pref. so it's easier sometimes to give feedback with little to no post. Your rendering here is great and I appreciate your comparison. It's nice to get that perspective!

No harm done at all!  I personally always do a little post work on my interiors to add that angelic soft dreamy glow. And not too  much of course. I'll give away this scene here  so Pele can study it and show some more interiors.  I'm very impressed with the speed.  Its like maxwell on bathsalts. :p

Despot

I actually would prefer a blend of the post and non-post image as there is too much bloom for my liking... but nice results

Since your a Maxwell user like myself, have you tried a 'flash' shot yet ? I think they look ultra-cool in Interiors :)

J