Side by Side Comparison II

Started by syrom, November 15, 2015, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Quote from: syrom on November 18, 2015, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on November 18, 2015, 05:56:19 PM
Nice work here. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers in my first reply. As was reinforced by everyone here, post is really personal pref. so it's easier sometimes to give feedback with little to no post. Your rendering here is great and I appreciate your comparison. It's nice to get that perspective!

No harm done at all!  I personally always do a little post work on my interiors to add that angelic soft dreamy glow. And not too  much of course. I'll give away this scene here  so Pele can study it and show some more interiors.  I'm very impressed with the speed.  Its like maxwell on bathsalts. :p

Also, I want to mention, a friend of mine asked me yesterday if I knew anything of Maxwell (I do not) and he's trying to convince his company to buy KeyShot (because I'm always yammering on about it). I sent him this thread. It's kind of a great and fairly non-biased comparison, so again, nice write-ups.

Niko Planke

This is  impressive.

Just a hint regarding the Geometry mode, i assume you are talking about the "performance mode"?
KeyShot 6 pro comes with the geometry view.(shortcut: "O")
Try to un-dock the Geometry view window and place it over the realtime window and scale it to match the size.
To switch in between geometry view mode and reatime mode just pres "shift+P" and then "O". This will pause the realtime view calculations and show the Geometry editor.  Also this enables you to  navigate in the geometry editor independent of your realtime camera(if you deselect the active camera in the geometry view) I could navigate and edit a +700000 polygon model this way, without any trouble.
Note: you can get the Move widget to show in the Geometry view if you right click the part in the geometry view and choose move part.
Tada  you can now edit you geometry fast even though you have a big model.

syrom

Quote from: Despot on November 19, 2015, 12:42:07 AM
I actually would prefer a blend of the post and non-post image as there is too much bloom for my liking... but nice results

Since your a Maxwell user like myself, have you tried a 'flash' shot yet ? I think they look ultra-cool in Interiors :)

J

Oh man... those are hyper realistic. I did one a few months ago and came out really good.  I would post  the image but it's not right to brag about render  here. Its a small kitchen scene. But I haven't thought of attempting that with keyshot. Maybe import the whole scene and just apply the materials and see the results.  That will be my next project.  Currently working on a dodge viper car, it's  looking nice.  Someone posted their car render using ies lights. Came out real nice.  Personally never really used them so it's going to be a learning experience.

syrom

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on November 19, 2015, 04:55:06 AM
Quote from: syrom on November 18, 2015, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on November 18, 2015, 05:56:19 PM
Nice work here. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers in my first reply. As was reinforced by everyone here, post is really personal pref. so it's easier sometimes to give feedback with little to no post. Your rendering here is great and I appreciate your comparison. It's nice to get that perspective!

No harm done at all!  I personally always do a little post work on my interiors to add that angelic soft dreamy glow. And not too  much of course. I'll give away this scene here  so Pele can study it and show some more interiors.  I'm very impressed with the speed.  Its like maxwell on bathsalts. :p

Also, I want to mention, a friend of mine asked me yesterday if I knew anything of Maxwell (I do not) and he's trying to convince his company to buy KeyShot (because I'm always yammering on about it). I sent him this thread. It's kind of a great and fairly non-biased comparison, so again, nice write-ups.

Well thats good to hear this thread has become useful.   I'm a big fan of realistic shots,  that's why I migrated to maxwell. Originally started using vray but found it rather too  complicated with a gazzillion settings. Then I tried Brazil  rs, if anyone remembers that one.  Learned it well  but sadly got dumped by the company and does not exist no more.  Finally,  saw some incredible flash renders on maxwell and immediately  jumped on board to master it. But like most people know about maxwell, it takes looooooong to render. It's better on v3 but still can drive you crazy. All my interior renders  on it are overnight renders. Finally, i cane across KS by just browsing the Web for rendering farms. It claimed to be ultra fast and decided to check out the gallery.  I was looking for hyper realistic renders and saw a few good renders. What hooked me was a youtube video showing a bike with a green background being rendered  with ks, and saw how fast it was. So I inquired and found my co worker has V5. Used it and now I'm hooked.  So now , just trying to push the limits on it and see if it can match the best work I have done.  So far is holding is own.

syrom

Quote from: Niko Planke on November 19, 2015, 07:42:00 AM
This is  impressive.

Just a hint regarding the Geometry mode, i assume you are talking about the "performance mode"?
KeyShot 6 pro comes with the geometry view.(shortcut: "O")
Try to un-dock the Geometry view window and place it over the realtime window and scale it to match the size.
To switch in between geometry view mode and reatime mode just pres "shift+P" and then "O". This will pause the realtime view calculations and show the Geometry editor.  Also this enables you to  navigate in the geometry editor independent of your realtime camera(if you deselect the active camera in the geometry view) I could navigate and edit a +700000 polygon model this way, without any trouble.
Note: you can get the Move widget to show in the Geometry view if you right click the part in the geometry view and choose move part.
Tada  you can now edit you geometry fast even though you have a big model.

Oh wow! Thanks for the tip. I'll  try that technique.  I used the geometry view but didn't really find it useful since I wasn't  able to work within in.

TpwUK

QuoteThen I tried Brazil  rs, if anyone remembers that one

I remember that one ... It's now a render plugin solution for Rhino, but not sure if it's still actively developed  :-\

Martin