Main Menu

Perfume

Started by imikej, February 10, 2017, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

Finished this project for now. The initial intent was to create the replica of the real thing and then make a frosted glass version of it. Here are the two final images. If you want to see our write-up and process steps, we've created a Behance gallery: https://www.behance.net/gallery/48880687/Our-CGI-Process

bdesign

Looks great, Mike!

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: bdesign on February 11, 2017, 06:26:59 AM
Also, I have found that enabling NURBS mode when rendering glass with any curvature makes a marked difference in the reflection/refraction quality and realism.
Really? I had no idea. Gonna have to test this. I tend to avoid NURBS since it tends to slow my mid-range computer down.

Oh, and the shot: Looks great!

Will Gibbons

Cool on the frosted one! I haven't seen much frosted glass on products in KeyShot.

imikej

I think it was Will that was looking for a bit more contrast.  I treated the sweep with a bit more drama.  Interested in thoughts, reactions. 

Esben Oxholm

Cool, Mike!
Although I would reduce the drama a tad. Maybe keep the reflection in the front part of the ramp while adding some roughness to back part to tone down the sharp reflections there :)

Will Gibbons

I think there's a happy medium between the before and after! I'd be interested in how it looks after trying Esben's suggestion.

imikej

Esben's suggestion seems like a good one.  Here it is implemented on the gold image.

Esben Oxholm

Yes! That looks great!

imikej

I wanted to take this one step farther and do something that would make you want this perfume.  Before we tried to stay true to the packaging (cap, silk screen, etc.).  Here we etched the glass and one of our former partners-in-crime chipped in a 18k gold cap.  While we've missed Valentine's day, any day is a good day to give ...Versace.   Would appreciate any thoughts comments (on the render).  (If I had it to do over, we'd spend some time and re-model the bottle.  Not super happy with the way this geometry suited us.)

Magnus Skogsfjord

All of these looks super! Really like the depth you manage to bring to the glass/liquid on the final image there.

I'm just curious; what differences would you make to the geometry to enhance it if you remodelled it?

imikej

To Magnus re. model.  So, this is a store-bought model.  There are several things about it that make it difficult to work with.  The way the glass was shaped and the liquid, reduces the flexibility we have to manage the refractions.  The big thing is that the model needs to be smoothed.  When we do, because we don't have native files, the model gets really ugly.  These are all non-technical terms that essentially mean the model was crap.  I sure hope it wasn't your model.... :)

NM-92

Last one is definitely better, from the cap material to the glass reflections. Way to push this scene. It's really hard to keep working on the same thing over and over but you've managed to improve this way too far. Congrats for the persistence.

imikej

NM-92–Thanks!  And, thanks for your help.  Forum was a big help on this project.  Spur'd me on.  Can't rest until you get something worthie.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Mike.
Gold, materials and lighting looks way better on the newest one. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I read NM-92's comment as my eyes were busy trying to figure out what was going on on the ground and in the back. Honestly I think it looks a bit 90's or something with that wavy (water?) surface :) . However, I also acknowledges that this is probably a matter of taste and I'm a guy for minimalistic stuff. I think a clean, almost matte background ramp would help sell this product - to me at least  8)

Not trying to be harsh. Just giving my honest thoughts.