Main Menu

Perfume

Started by imikej, February 10, 2017, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

Quote from: imikej on March 01, 2017, 06:13:28 PM
The big thing is that the model needs to be smoothed.  When we do, because we don't have native files, the model gets really ugly.
Hey Mike-

You mentioned earlier in this thread that the geometry is a 3DS Max model. I've downloaded Max models before and, when trying to smooth them further with a Turbosmooth modifier, they get wonky. What I've found that works sometimes is to go to the Modify tab, go into vertex mode, select all vertices (ctrl-a), then, under the Weld section, set a low tolerance value (try .01 to start), and click the "Selected" button. After welding the vertices, applying the Turbosmooth worked as expected, with clean results. Crank those iterations as high as you like :) Let me know if this works for this model.

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: imikej on March 01, 2017, 06:13:28 PM
To Magnus re. model.  So, this is a store-bought model.  There are several things about it that make it difficult to work with.  The way the glass was shaped and the liquid, reduces the flexibility we have to manage the refractions.  The big thing is that the model needs to be smoothed.  When we do, because we don't have native files, the model gets really ugly.  These are all non-technical terms that essentially mean the model was crap.  I sure hope it wasn't your model.... :)
Ah, first of all, it's not my model no! I haven't dived into polygon modeling yet, so bad tesselation is your typical NURBS challenge:)

Secondly: I see what you mean now. Saw this on my phone yesterday. I see the issues more clearly with the high res one. That said, it was neatly covered up in the frosted versions!

imikej

Thanks, Esben.  I like your minimalist style a lot.  It has a certain feel to it.  Not sure that goes with VERSACE, which screams something "else."  This was an experimentKS tools in every way.  So, the end result is visually a bit more complex than it would likely be, had it been done for a client.  Your point is a good one though.  Not sure I have the energy to re-work it "minimalist."  :)

Will Gibbons

I think the valuable takeaway here is... if you need a glass/transparent object, it may save you some headaches if you just model it yourself. Especially with it often being a simple object. Geometry heavily affects reflection and refraction.