Various Renders (some random RenderWeekly challenges)

Started by JonWelch, July 07, 2017, 08:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

I could be 100% wrong, so take it with grain of salt...

Maybe you could add a very large noise bump to make it look less like a solid plane? Robb's photo ref is nice... though lighting is different, his doesn't have the specular highlights that I think makes the rendering look more like a solid metal grille.

Again, just an opinion!

JonWelch

Quote from: Robb63 on December 20, 2017, 08:57:02 AM
I happen to have the Stanmore sitting on my desk.
I think the thing that might be throwing off the grill is that it is very slightly wavy in meat space
Here's the one sitting next to me right now.

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 20, 2017, 09:27:06 AM
I could be 100% wrong, so take it with grain of salt...

Maybe you could add a very large noise bump to make it look less like a solid plane? Robb's photo ref is nice... though lighting is different, his doesn't have the specular highlights that I think makes the rendering look more like a solid metal grille.

Again, just an opinion!
Thanks guys, I'm making some tweaks now to see what I can do. It's actually not a solid plane, I modeled the entire grill, so the geometry is there. I might just need to work on the materials/lighting.

NM-92

Quote from: JonWelch on December 20, 2017, 10:00:06 AM
Thanks guys, I'm making some tweaks now to see what I can do. It's actually not a solid plane, I modeled the entire grill, so the geometry is there. I might just need to work on the materials/lighting.

Lighting all the way. Test some HDRIs until your grill look the way you want, then just add pins to suit the rest of the image. Orrrr, do the inverse, add some pins to change the grill. I usually add some black/grey pins in alpha blend mode to kill some bright spots and get some variation on metal pieces. Pretty useful when you don't want to change your entire scene.

JonWelch

Alright, hopefully this looks better in comparison to my first render of this scene. I tweaked my model of the grill and the materials on it, so hopefully it doesn't look as metallic now. Removed the phone because like Will said, it was hard to visualize what it was. I felt like the scene was empty, so I added a gold record on the wall for decoration. Let me know what you all think.

NM-92

Josh3D

HADI RAHIMIFAR

Hi JON. I really like your renders espically the ring.can i request you to share mclarene shot hdr here?? fine thanks

Will Gibbons

I think the results are fantastic! Great edits. Sorry, for assuming the mesh wasn't modeled. I should have remembered you're a CAD Ninja! Great work.

HaroldL

Quote from: JonWelch on December 21, 2017, 10:23:39 AM
Alright, hopefully this looks better in comparison to my first render of this scene. I tweaked my model of the grill and the materials on it, so hopefully it doesn't look as metallic now. Removed the phone because like Will said, it was hard to visualize what it was. I felt like the scene was empty, so I added a gold record on the wall for decoration. Let me know what you all think.
Quote from: Josh Mings on December 21, 2017, 04:10:16 PM
Crank it! That looks awesome Jon.
I agree with Josh, crank it - it's a Marshall, "these go to eleven".

JonWelch

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 27, 2017, 07:50:05 AM
I think the results are fantastic! Great edits. Sorry, for assuming the mesh wasn't modeled. I should have remembered you're a CAD Ninja! Great work.
Not a problem Will. I tried creating some irregularities in the geometry, but it still looks very uniform, so I'm not surprised you assumed it was a map. I felt a little crazy for modeling it anyways haha

Quote from: HaroldLI agree with Josh, crank it - it's a Marshall, "these go to eleven".
Quote from: Josh Mings on December 21, 2017, 04:10:16 PM
Crank it! That looks awesome Jon.
Quote from: NM-92 on December 21, 2017, 12:34:18 PM
The record is a great addition !
Thanks guys :)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: JonWelch on December 28, 2017, 09:42:24 AM
Not a problem Will. I tried creating some irregularities in the geometry, but it still looks very uniform, so I'm not surprised you assumed it was a map. I felt a little crazy for modeling it anyways haha

Not crazy! It's those details that sometimes make all the difference!

Robb63

Neeraj007

JonWelch

Quote from: Robb63 on December 29, 2017, 07:51:17 AM
Looks really good with the updates. Nice job!
Thanks man

Quote from: Neeraj007 on December 30, 2017, 09:36:13 AM
which software r u using for modelling?
I primarily use Solidworks for all my modeling. I have only recently got into some sculpting/organic modeling using Sculptris. And then I have OnyxTree for making trees/plants.
There are some models in my work that I did not build myself (mostly cars and people) but aside form that, I try to build everything with Solidworks because that's what I was taught in with a product design background.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: JonWelch on December 30, 2017, 10:37:37 AM
And then I have OnyxTree for making trees/plants.

Looks super Win95, haha, but in an almost cool way. Do you have any sample renderings you've done in KS? Would love to see. Their gallery seems a bit dated.