Vertex Color / Blender to KeyShot

Started by Safa, March 16, 2020, 05:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Safa

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to export Vertex Color made in Blender to KeyShot 9. Unfortunately it only appears black.
Does anybody know how to export the geometry the right way from Blender? I'm using Blender 2.82. Thanks alot!

Best

Eugen Fetsch

Hi. The only way I see to import Vertex Color to KeyShot from Blender would be to UV unwrap the model, plug in the Vertex Color to an Emission shader and bake it to a texture map.
You need to do this steps in Blender. Then you can use the texture map to drive your masks in KS or whatever.

Safa

Thanks alot for your help, Eugen.
Best

LM6

I'am not sure about Blender but I know you can do it from C4D, see attached file.

Eugen Fetsch

I see. It is baked in the alembic file.

Eugen Fetsch

Can you explain how you use it in KS? I've checked the Blender export in MODO and can see the Vector Colors in the FBX file. Same for the Alembic file format, the colors are baked into the geometry.
Using the Vertex Color node in the color channel of the material doesn't work in my case.

LM6

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on April 17, 2020, 06:00:36 AM
Can you explain how you use it in KS? I've checked the Blender export in MODO and can see the Vector Colors in the FBX file. Same for the Alembic file format, the colors are baked into the geometry.
Using the Vertex Color node in the color channel of the material doesn't work in my case.

Yes the Vertex Color node or the Info Node is all you need, not sure why its not working for you. I will have a quick look at my export options and get back to you.

LM6

LM6

ok here here are my settings and a test .abc file you can load into KS

Eugen Fetsch

Thanks for sharing the files and export options.

I've tried your file from C4D and could make the Vertex Colors visible. It looks like there is an issue in the Blender to KS workflow.

I can see the Vertex Color in MODO and in BMD Fusion throufgh FBX file transfer, but can't see them in KS (even with FBX).