Various Renders (some random RenderWeekly challenges)

Started by JonWelch, July 07, 2017, 08:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh3D

Gotta agree. All the shots look great but that bathroom is exceptional. Well done.

JonWelch

Quote from: Will Gibbons on September 18, 2017, 07:11:14 AM
Wow! That bathroom is lovely. Way to nail the metering/exposure. Always helps to sell an interior when you get the contrast between the interior/exterior lighting.
Quote from: Josh Mings on September 18, 2017, 09:25:28 AM
Gotta agree. All the shots look great but that bathroom is exceptional. Well done.

Thanks guys  :) I definitely spent some time trying to get that exposure right. That's one of the aspects about interiors that I think can really set apart an accurate looking render.

zooropa

I love the Ferrari shot. I would enhance the already great image by:

- re-tweaking the scale of the street, seems that the stones are bit over-sized.
- I would take advantage of the paint material in KS and add a little bit more of details to the red paint. So far could look al little bit more 'plastic' than car paint. Have you tried with some flakes or maybe adding really subtle scratches/ imperfections ?

Regards , amazing jobs

JonWelch

Quote from: zooropa on September 19, 2017, 11:28:46 AM
I love the Ferrari shot. I would enhance the already great image by:

- re-tweaking the scale of the street, seems that the stones are bit over-sized.
- I would take advantage of the paint material in KS and add a little bit more of details to the red paint. So far could look al little bit more 'plastic' than car paint. Have you tried with some flakes or maybe adding really subtle scratches/ imperfections ?

Regards , amazing jobs

Yea, there are definitely quite a few things I would go back and fix with that scene. That shot was done years ago, with KS4 I believe. I remember the paint being extremely difficult to get right back then, it would be interesting to take a stab at it again.

DriesV

Extremely nice interior. I love the copper materials on the bathtub and pots.

Dries

JonWelch

Here's another interior I did for practice. I liked the idea of doing a shot with interesting geometric lines (and then I totally interrupted them with an abstract elephant head sculpture). But as always, let me know what you guys think.

cjwidd

That whiskey glass tho, very nice. How did you model the meniscus?

NM-92

Wow. I really like the gradient tint on the glass in the last image. Do you mind sharing the material setup for that one ? It's always good to learn different approaches.

Josh3D

cjwidd

Out of curiosity, are you rendering with rounded edges on the stair steps in the image above^

rfollett

love the lighting.. even at the back of the case you can see all the detail. any lighting tips?

JonWelch

Quote from: cjwidd on September 24, 2017, 04:41:20 PM
That whiskey glass tho, very nice. How did you model the meniscus?

I did this the standard way that I learned some years ago. And it has always seemed to work best for liquids in a container. See the tutorial link below :)
https://grabcad.com/tutorials/tutorial-render-liquid-in-a-glass-with-keyshot

Quote from: NM-92 on September 25, 2017, 01:38:09 PM
Wow. I really like the gradient tint on the glass in the last image. Do you mind sharing the material setup for that one ? It's always good to learn different approaches.
Not a problem. I definitely enjoy learning new techniques from the awesome artists here. This was the first time I tried something like this, so I'm not sure if this was the best way, but it was surprisingly easy. I think you should be able to understand the setup from the attached image. The gradient map obviously acts as the opacity map for the green tinting, and I just had to mess with that color to get something realistic: not too saturated, not too dark, not too light, etc. The one thing you don't see is that I had to open up the Mapping Compass and rotate the gradient 45 degrees, which is the angle of the staircase/railing. and then move it on its Local Y axis to hit the glass where I wanted it. Nothing too complicated.

Quote from: Josh Mings on September 25, 2017, 02:30:31 PM
This is fabulous! Love it!
Thank you very much Josh :)

Quote from: cjwidd on September 25, 2017, 04:36:26 PM
Out of curiosity, are you rendering with rounded edges on the stair steps in the image above^
No, I pretty much never render with round edges on because I generally build all my 3d models myself, and at the end of my builds, I add appropriately sized Fillets to my edges depending on what type of material/structure it is supposed to be. So I never need to use Round edges, because I have always modeled them myself.

Quote from: rfollett on September 26, 2017, 02:05:26 AM
love the lighting.. even at the back of the case you can see all the detail. any lighting tips?
Thanks Rich, lighting is pretty standard for my general setup. Just using the HDRI and rotating the enviro until I liked the direction, messing with the contrast/brightness to get the look I wanted. This space is fully enclosed, but uses a lot of large windows that are out of view of the camera, you can see some of them in the reflection of the glass though.

Hossein Alfideh

NM-92

Understood ! Thank you. Didn't know that you could mask things out with the color composite node.

Eric Summers

That effect on the glass is really awesome! Thanks for sharing how you achieved it.